Understanding my Tax Code


Knowledge Base / Contractor FAQs / Understanding my Tax Code

When we input your details into our payroll system, you will be allocated a tax code. We have no influence over this, it comes from HMRC. If you have moved to Charteris from another job, please send us your P45 so that we can upload this into the system. If you don’t have a P45, you can request a New Starter Form; this will ensure that HMRC is notified as to whether we are your only employer or if you have any other jobs.

1250L is the tax code currently used for most people who have one job or pension but if you have a different code you can check on the HMRC website as to what it means: https://www.gov.uk/tax-codes

Our payments are processed in Real-Time.  We run regular updates on our system so if your tax code changes or you are owed any tax back, we will be notified. If you notice a change in your salary payment, check your payslip and if you see that the tax code has changed, please feel free to contact us, or you can call HMRC direct on 0300 200 3300 to ask why your tax code has changed.


Have a question you need answering?

If you need help with something not currently in our knowledge base, then please ask away in the form below…